Friday, March 23, 2007

Having a Birthday Party

It's a sticky March night. Mattie is having her 11th birthday party, a campout with four friends...they're out playing capture the flag. I was going to join them, but instead elected to be master photographer and put the pictures on the computer for a slide show. In the process I "replaced" some other important pictures accidentally...what a cold horrible feeling inside. I have a sense of loss. It was kind of the traumatizing end for the day.

Oh, but we're starting fireworks now :) I've got to let it go.

It's fun watching a bunch of giggling girls and wondering if my 11th birthday was like this. I think so, but can't remember the particulars. I know that I had four friends over, just like this...but we didn't spend the night in the tent. The conversations are interesting. Here are a few tidbits.

"I love going to the dentist"
"The doctor gives you candy if you're really good and don't cry, but the dentist only gives you mints."
"sometimes he gives you a toothbrush."
"You mean you've never had your teeth cleaned at the dentist?"
"Why don't you ever go to the dentist?"

"Does anybody need another napkin?"
"Uh, I could use some water"
"And I'd like some more apple juice please."
"I'll take dr. Pepper"

"Ooh! I want some coffee! I always have coffee after meals"

"I picked brown because I never see you wearing black."

"It's time for fireworks!"
"This is the worst fireworks show I've ever seen." (Before it starts)
POP! POP! POP!!! Bam BAM BANG! (light spewing forth)
Eeeee!! OOoooo! Ahhhh!
(Giggles and other loud noises)

Yeah...there were funnier things but I can't remember them now. We took a walk in the dark, the five giddy girls trailing along, arm in arm, with Ethan hovering nearby. They all were wearing pink and blue hankies (party favors.) Connor, Mom, Dad, and I amused ourselves by quoting the new favorite movie of the month, Hoodwinked ("Can't believe I'm sayin' this, but...drink up.") Then Dad put a (rather large) balloon under his shirt and said it was his burger belly. More amusement :)

The girls are now engrossed in the newer version of Pride and Predjudice, and the flood of chatter and gurgling has ceased momentarily. Connor wants me to play a "geography game" with him. Considering that we don't have anything you could categorize as a geography game (with the exception of Risk, maybe), I was kind of wondering what he meant. "I just thought maybe we could get out the atlas and do mountain ranges and stuff." I've been plodding through a geography report in the wild ranges of Iran all afternoon more or less, so I'm a tad weary and wary...but hey, anything with Connor and geography mixed has got to be at least a little fun. I'll just see if he can spot the Zagros mountains or Mount Damavand. Or the Dasht-e Lut (a desert in eastern Iran.) oh ho ho, I feel so intelligent. Its almost to the pedantic point.

The smell of popcorn is wafting into my nostrils...the sophisticated characters of P&P are discussing the graces of accomplished women...I can hear giggling and munching from the other room. My lips are chapped. The air conditioner has just come on. I think I'll go...perhaps travel to a far off land with my dear beloved brother.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey cass!
tell mattie i said happy belated birthday! glad ya'all had fun! love you!

Bailey said...

hey cass,
hope you are having a great day!Tell Mattie happy birthday 4 me too=)