Monday, March 8, 2010

A Rainy Day Curry Craving

Today was not the day to wear a spring skirt, but I missed the memo and did it anyway. Actually, I did get the memo, and ignored it. Rain, temperatures in the 50's, and I said, no, surely the sun will come out. So I wore a skirt and short sleeve while everyone else was bundled up in hoodies. The sun must not have been impressed, because it didn't come out, and I was so chilled that I got Connor to drive me over to the BA building for computer class in the afternoon instead of walking there like I normally do.

Afterwards, he came and got me and we listened to Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack on the way home. I remembered all over again how much I love that movie and tried to think of a good excuse to watch it a fifth time and tried to decide whether or not I would be burned out on it. Probably not.

Both of us were about to eat the seat upholstery, we were so hungry. I usually make sandwiches for school, and I did today, but I left Connor's. So after sharing mine and having a full day of classes, we were still famished. The music made Connor want curry, more specifically, Li'l Thai House curry, and in a rare spontaneous moment I said we should go and split some. He looked at me like I'd proposed a plan for a Better Mouse Trap (if, hypothetically, he had been a professional exterminator...never mind.) and veered onto South street.

Since we failed to catch the Green Street underpass, we ended up behind a stripey blinking barrier waiting for a 40 mile long train to go by. We were there a long time. Connor turned off the car and we sat watching it. The cars were red and orange and navy, which struck me as a nice color combination on a rainy gray day with the wind blowing like it was. They all appeared to have been brought from China and I wondered how much of our stuff comes from there? A lot, I know, but the whole trainload?

We drove up to the little wedge of a building that is Li'l Thai House and found it closed. Pho's was the next option because by that time we really wanted some non-buffet Asian food. And I must admit, Pho's has the best French-pressed coffee I've ever tasted. It's all in the condensed milk. There we met Kate and Stan and a friend of theirs and Kate's mom, and began to visit with them.

It was very satisfying eating something with chopsticks. I'm glad we did split a plate, because I felt obligated to leave room for the spaghetti my sainted mother had made for supper.

We drove home with the heat full blast on my chilled toes (flip flops to go with the skirt, naturally) and I told Connor I thought I had the skirt thing out of my system for a while. Think I'll don a hoodie for the next month. Of course, this is East Texas weather we're talking about. I'd better not make rash promises.

And now I'd better stop writing because I'm writing rather recklessly and don't feel like using commas which can get you into trouble sometimes with grammar police which people think I am until they really get to know me because I really don't care much about some aspects of grammar I just like to ramble...

Ok. I do care some. I mean, I'm a little embarrassed at that run on. But not enough to take it out. Ok, as I said, I'd better stop. Now.

4 comments:

Jono said...

Last night Ruth and Jon and I watched Julia and Julie. We decided that Julie is very much like Cassie (or vice versa) so I was very glad to see a post from Cassie this morning. Keep rambling . . .

Cassie said...

haha. I found that movie very funny, inspiring, a little disturbing in places...I will continue to ramble indefinitely, you can count on it!

Cassie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post :)
Apparently everything is big in Texas. A forty mile long train makes you think. If it was traveling at 40 mph, and you got there just as it arrived at the crossing, you must have been there an hour. (Just kidding. Writing like yours deserves lots of artistic licence.) Keep posting.

Anonju