Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Pretend Princess in a Snow Globe

Well. It's not easy to keep up with my blog these days. But then, the reasons are fairly good ones, and I'm glad to be having them. I'm just a little bummed that I wrote a 1300 word update a few days ago and then accidentally didn't send or save it. Oops. Maybe it was all for the best.

Last night I decided that my life is definitely like a snow globe. It gets violently shaken every little while so that the particles go flying in a frenzied melee which takes weeks (or months?) to subside. Right now, the last good shake (arriving in East Texas) has started to settle- the little bits are fluttering to a pleasant resting place and life feels a little more peaceful...and then, a week from now, bam! Fresh turbulence with a side of confusion.

No, it will be ok. I'm seeing that God has a purpose for these things...and as long as I hold on to my hope in Him, it will turn out for good. Nobody dies of change. Well, at least nobody I personally know.

I'm having fun being here. Yesterday I got to see Mrs. Burklin and have tea at her house like we used to do, and while Lauren went shopping I followed her around, hanging up the clothes after she tried them on. "Call me Antoinette," I told her mom later.

Yesterday morning most of my family was gone, so I was just here with Ethan. He decided we were going to play knights and princesses. "Do you have any pretty dresses?" he wanted to know. I thought about it...I love dresses but I rarely wear them. I did have a light blue formal from a couple of years ago. So I did my makeup and put it on and came downstairs, and he was quite pleased.

Hey, I don't mind pretending I'm a princess! It was fun to have the excuse, actually. As princess, there weren't a lot of demands on me...I just had to stroll around as elegantly as possible offering encouragement to the peastantry. Or should I say peasant, since there was only one.

"What's your name?" I asked Ethan.
"I don't have one. I'm just a peasant."
"Well, I'll think of a name for you."
"You could call me Sir Roland," he said, alluding to one of his favorite stories.

So I did. Haha. It really makes you feel different when you pretend to be a princess!

I've been thinking a lot about sunshine, and colors, and how much I want to write children's books, and whether or not I'll go to college. And how good it is to eat fried catfish with one's grandparents while listening to stories of the "good old days."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwww!!! I didn't know that!! I bet he was thrilled!!

Kate

Kelly said...

:) I would buy every single children's book you ever wrote.

Connie said...

Hmm. I ate fried trout with my grandparents... There weren't many catfish in Colorado and Wyoming, but I guess the principle is the same. :)

dia de alba said...

I love you, babe. And if you write children's books, I want a full classroom set of every one of them for my class. All signed of course. And I want a hug for each book. I am just slightly demanding. ;)
By the way, there is a nice long crazy post on my blog if you get bored. I figured it might be time to put up my testimony for people to see...
Be safe traveling back to Ukraine. And give my love to the Crowes. I love you!!!!!