Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Bit of Solace

I love families. Can I say that again? I love families. And if I can't be with my own family, it's somewhat of a solace to be tucked away in the hills of eastern Kentucky for a weekend with my room mate and her family. Putting roots down in Appalachia.

This morning the ridge behind the house sits solemn and overcast under a bank of clouds, and raindrops hang on tree branches. Outside the kitchen window the dogwood tree is full of red berries. I feel that red berries will be the ticket to my survival through a long winter. Not eating them, just feasting my eyes on something of good cheer against this untellin' lonesomeness.

"Untelling" is a word I picked up from Brittany. She's an Appalachian Studies major and knows these things. I love it and think it should be in Websters. Where my mom might say, "How many hours of sleep do you think you'll get this week," and I would reply, "There's no tellin,'" I'd say instead, "It's untellin.'"

It's getting cold outside. The birds are jumping around in the dogwood tree nibbling at the berries. Inside, I'm at the kitchen table and can hardly say how pleased I am to be in the center of a house full of a family, Brittany and her parents and two sisters and Michael, her boyfriend. In a few hours, after a warm home-cooked meal, it's back to The Bubble for us. But small delights go a long way. I won't give up hope just yet.

4 comments:

Jono said...

I already know you won't give up Cassie! You have an uncanny resilience and a unique yet effective way at analysing life and what God is doing in and around you.
Continue to inspire me with your faith and your ramblings.
Jono

Anonymous said...

This post makes me feel both warm and fuzzy and at the same time aching with missing you. I'm with Jono, for such a small little person, you are full of heart. The kind that can only be Christ. The Christ that always invites others into a bigger, broader, more spacious and abundant life. I love you so much. Thanks for not withholding the gift of expression God has given you. It blesses a lot of people. I love you so much, Cassie Love!
Mom

Brittany said...

I'm so glad you had a nice time!

Anonymous said...

Mmm. Untellin. Good one.
Lonesomeness is a good word too, though an uncomfortable feeling.
As you know, probably better than I do, it comes from the God Who made us. Augustine put it best (yes, the one from Hippo, not the one who went to England: "You made us for Yourself and our hearts find no peace [they are lonesome] until they find their rest in You."
(Confessions Book 1:1)

word verification is 'excisch'...What is that??

Anonju