Tuesday, December 22, 2009

No, I'm Not Coming Out...

Yesterday I was supposed to meet my friend Iryna and we were going to go for coffee or something like that, as we've done several times in the past few months. But yesterday the house felt so cozy and as usual, I was loath to leave my habitat. So I thought maybe I should bring her here and we could make cookies.

The more I thought about it, the happier I grew, so I finally called to ask if I could pick her up an hour earlier so we could do it. And she said yes. And when I drove up in the truck (a large white vehicle I like to call "The Tank") she was so elated that she hopped right in and gave me a big smooch on the cheek. I guess we were both missing Ukraine a bit.

Before stopping to get her, though, I had to make a Walmart run for baking supplies. Jiminy Cricket! The traffic...the hustle...the bustle...the lines!

I thought there were a lot more efficient people in the world. I thought last minute shopping was supposed to be the exception to the rule. Don't you guys want to go home? Isn't that what a holiday is for? Shouldn't pickup trucks be banned from the roads during Christmas holidays? Wait...I'm driving one...Ok, but I don't have a choice...couldn't the rest of ya'll have bought mini coopers or something? Not redneck enough for ya? I'll getcha some duct tape.

So I found two pounds of butter, two pounds of powdered sugar, and 8 ounces of creamed cheese. And I waited behind seven or eight carts in the express lane. The checker was holding out pretty well. I bet it's spiked eggnog for her tonight. She could probably use some extra Christmas cheer.

So I stood in line surveying the newest varieties of M&M's. Strawberried peanut butter??? What? I want to go home now. Gosh, I love to be home. Just two days ago I was all irritation about home. But I always get over that. It takes little more than a trip to Walmart. Abscence makes the heart grow fonder.

So, after sitting in traffic on the narrowest road in town with three hundred other pickup trucks and other such unwieldy vehicles through about four lights, I reached Iryna wrecklessly (without a wreck) and we went back to my house and made cream cheese cookies, which turned out super yum.

And now nothing can induce me to come out of hiding but dire emergencies or dear friends...until after Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonder if you have read any of Thomas Traherne's poems. (He wrote other things too.)
Anyway, here is a sample.

https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/html/1807/4350/poem2223.html

anonju