Monday, March 2, 2009

Things I Have Noticed Lately

1. Three gray/white hairs attached to MY HEAD within the past three weeks. I promptly removed them.

2. The Russian verbs "to write" and "to pee" are far too similar for my my comfort.

3. It was clever of them, (whoever they are) to make toothbrushes stick up at the end so that the part you stick in your mouth doesn't have to touch the various surfaces you set it down on.

4. Petrol went up 25 kopeks at the station at the bottom of our hill.

5. I am happy.


Aside from that...Bron and I just finished making a model heart with lungs and major arteries and veins. It turned out quite well, because she's an artist and she colored it with skillful detail. I spent the morning trying to wrap my brain around the circulatory system. The scary thing about teaching kids is that you actually have to know stuff. I feel so dumb. I remember studying things, but when it comes down to it, I don't actually know much.

Deb was trying to find some activities the kids could do with the Gollan kids since they all homeschool. So tomorrow we're going to play this game (after studying the heart diagram a bit) where the kids are blood cells and they have to travel throught the heart to the lungs, back to the heart and through the body to deposit oxygen...we're going to try spray painting a heart and arteries, etc. in the snow and having them run around out there. Should be interesting.

I learned a whole lot...it's exciting to feel like I actually understand something for the first time. I'm not sure how well I can articulate it to the kids, but I think they'll get something out of it. We'll measure our pulses and have a great time.

2 comments:

The Peacock Pearl said...

that's how i feel everyday... like i have to learn it to teach it, maybe that's why i'm so exhausted.

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a game!:)

Kate